Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2 3/6] xen/arm: Allow platform_hvc to handle guest SMC calls

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017, Julien Grall wrote:
> On 08/02/2017 23:28, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi Tamas,
> > >
> > > Can you please try to configure your e-mail client to use '>' rather than
> > > '
> > > '? It makes quite hard to read the e-mail.
> >
> > Hm, not sure why it switched but should be fine now.

> > > If you look at the SMC Calling Convention [1] both HVC and SMC are
> > > considered a conduit for service call to the secure firmware or
> > > hypervisor.
> > > It would be up to the hypervisor deciding what to do.
> > >
> > > Lets imagine the guest is deciding to use HVC to access the secure
> > > firmware
> > > (AFAIU this patch series is adding that), are you going to monitor all the
> > > HVCs (including hypercall)?
> >
> > There are some fundamental differences between HVC and SMC calls
> > though. An HVC can only land in the hypervisor, so as a hypercall, I
> > would expect it to be something I can deny via XSM. That is a
> > sufficient option for now to block the path to the firmware. If we end
> > up needing to support an application that uses that hypercall for
> > something critical, then yes, it would also need to be hooked into the
> > monitor system. At the moment this is not necessary.
>
> My point is not about what is necessary at the moment. But what is right
> things to do. If you look at the spec, HVC are not only for hypercall, but any
> other kind of services. Why would you deny something that is valid from the
> specification (see 5.2.1)?
>
> "The SMC calling convention, however, does not specify which instruction
> (either SMC or HVC) to use to invoke a
> particular service."

To have a generic solution, we need a way to specify a set of HVC/SMC
calls that get monitored and a set that get handled in Xen (platform
specific or otherwise). I think it is OK not to do both, at least at the
beginning, but we might want to add that feature in the future.

As much as I would like to see that, in respect to this series, I don't
think we should ask Edgar to introduce such a mechanism. However, we do
need to decide what Xen should do when platform_hvc is implemented and
monitor is also enabled.

I think the default should be to only call platform_hvc, because there
are many valid monitoring use-cases which don't require those few
platform specific SMC/HVC calls to be forwarded to the monitor.

However, if we did that, we would break Tamas' scenario. Thus, I suggest
we also introduce a simple compile time option or Xen command line
option to forward all platform_hvc calls to the monitor instead of
implementing them in Xen. Something like "MONITOR_OVERRIDE". In the
future, we can replace it with a more generic framework to dynamically
configure at runtime which SMC/HVC calls get forwarded.

What do you think?

> > So if we are landing in do_trap_smc from an HVC call, I think it would
> > be better to introduce a separate function for it rather then just
> > bunching the two together here.
> >

> > > Similarly, non-modified baremetal app could use SMC to power on/off the
> > > vCPU
> > > (see PSCI spec). Will you emulate that in the monitor app?
> >
> > Yes, the underlying setup requires that everything that is expected
> > from the firmware to be performed either by the monitor app, or have
> > the monitor app further delegate it somewhere that can perform the
> > task. That can be either the firmware itself (if its safe), or an
> > isolated VM if it is possible to perform the task there. I wouldn't
> > call this emulation necessarily btw.
>
> You haven't understood my point. Xen is currently emulating PSCI call for the
> guest to allow powering up and down the CPUs and other stuff. If you decide to
> trap all the SMCs, you would have to handle them.
>
> And yes it is emulation as you don't seem to be willing passing those SMC to
> the firmware or even back to Xen. If we expect a VM to emulate a trusted
> firmware, then you have a security problem. Some hardware may be only
> accessible through the secure world and I doubt some trusted app vendor will
> be willing to move cryptography stuff in non secure world. I would highly
> recommend to skim through the OP-TEE thread, it will provide you some insights
> of the constraints.

Each platform is different. It seems unlikely to me too, and it might
always remain a niche use-case, but it is still a valid scenario to
consider.