Re: [Xen-devel] several domU crashes after 4.1->4.8 live migration

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Vincent Legout <vincent.legout@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We had some issues after live migrating several domU from xen 4.1 to xen
> 4.8. We migrated around 200 domU and 5 crashed, from a few hours up to
> several days after the migration. All the domU had more than 1 year of
> uptime, and for example one crashed several days after the migration
> during a high load period.
>
> All 5 domU are running a 3.10 kernel (from 3.10.44 to 3.10.103). They
> have between 2GB and 16GB of RAM, and between 1 and 4 vCPUS.
>
> We use 3 types of machines (several PowerEdge C6100 (Intel L5640) and
> R710 (Intel L5520), and one C8220 (Intel E5-2650)). The C6100 and R710
> have 24 logical cores with HT enabled. The PowerEdge C8220 is only used
> for Xen 4.8, and has 32 logical cores with HT enabled. The C6100 and the
> R710 have 50GB of RAM, and the C8220 128GB. The xen 4.1 dom0 is running
> a 3.4.69 kernel, and the xen 4.8 one a 4.1.37 kernel.
>
> I've attached the most relevant parts of the domU kernel logs we could
> get. It seems the crashes came from different components of the kernel,
> though most of them seem to be related to memory.
>
> Would anyone have any idea if that's something that could be fixed? Or
> is it just that migrating from 4.1 to 4.8 is not supported?

Officially the open-source project only supports migrations between
single releases -- i.e., 4.1 -> 4.2 or 4.7 -> 4.8.  This is mainly
because we haven't had the bandwidth to test more than that.  I know
XenServer tests and supports a broader window for migrations between
their release versions; other downstreams (Oracle, SLES) may as well;
but that probably won't help you in your current situation.

 -George