Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 0/7] Move accel, KVM, Xen, qtest files to accel/ subdir

On 21/12/2016 14:14, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 12:21:44PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>

>> On 20/12/2016 18:43, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
>>> This moves the KVM and Xen files to the an accel/ subdir.
>>>
>>> Instead of moving the *-stubs.c file to accel/ as-is, I tried to
>>> move most of the stub code to libqemustub.a. This way the obj-y
>>> logic for accel/ is simpler: obj-y includes accel/ only if
>>> CONFIG_SOFTMMU is set.
>>>
>>> The Xen stubs could be moved completely to stubs/, but some of
>>> the KVM stubs depend on cpu.h. So most of the kvm-stub.c code was
>>> moved to stubs/kvm.c, but some of that code was kept in
>>> accel/kvm-stub.c.
>>
>> I think we need to decide what libqemustub is for.
>>
>> The original purpose was to provide different implementations of some
>> functions for tools vs. emulators or (more rarely) for user-mode vs.
>> system emulation.
>
> So, is sysemu vs user-mode a valid reason for using libqemustub?

Yes, but I was thinking of a different distinction.

You'd use libqemustub if user-mode emulation (or tools) only needs 2-3
functions out of a large file, while system-mode emulation needs all of it.

For example, of the entire monitor API, the tools need pretty much
nothing but monitor_init, monitor_get_fd, cur_mon and
monitor_cur_is_qmp.  Such a small extract of the API makes little sense
except for "this is what is needed to compile the tools", so it's stubs/
rather than monitor-stub.c.

Instead, non-KVM targets need a stub implementation of the entire API,
so it's kvm-stub.c rather than stubs/kvm.c (kvm-stub.c depends on cpu.h
but that's really only needed to compile it---the kvm-stub.c code
actually has no dependency).

There are certainly cases where libqemustub is used instead of lnot.  In
the specific case of sysemu vs. user-mode, stubs/cpus.c and
stubs/replay-user.c should not be in libqemustub.  They should be in a
separate file user-exec-stub.c, which is only used if !CONFIG_SOFTMMU.

> The main reason I have moved some code to sbus/kvm.c is to avoid
> having to include accel/kvm-stub.c in *-user.

What's wrong with

ifeq ($(CONFIG_SOFTMMU),y)
obj-$(CONFIG_KVM) += kvm-all.c
obj-$(call lnot, $(CONFIG_KVM)) += kvm-stub.c
endif

similar to what is done already in Makefile.objs?

> Moving xen-stub.c to libqemustub, on the other hand, is really
> unnecessary.

Why would it be different?

>> In general, I think libqemustub should be the last resort.  If possible,
>> inlines in headers should be the first choice, and stubs in objs-y or
>> common-objs-y (using $(call lnot) in the Makefile) should be the second.
>
> I understand the reasoning, but I fail to see cases when
> libqemustub would be considered appropriate. Using stubs in
> obj-y/common-obj-y using $(call lnot) is always possible, isn't
> it?
>
> Hmm, maybe on cases where the decision to use the stub doesn't
> depend on a single build variable (e.g. a function implemented by
> a handful of targets, but not all of them).

This is a good one.

> Are there other examples?

Does the one above (extract a small part of an API) make sense?

libqemustub is a necessary evil and it's almost never necessary.  It
basically exists for cases where you cannot replace a source file with
another wholesale.

There are also some cases of premature optimization.  For example reset
handlers are stubbed, but: 1) system emulation implements them in vl.c
which is an antipattern of its own, and 2) they are small enough that
including them in user-mode emulators (together with the rest of qdev)
is not a big deal.  (I'm planning to remove some stubs in 2.9, so I'm
taking these examples from that branch).

Paolo