Re: [Xen-devel] Future support of 5-level paging in Xen:wq

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 12:16 PM, Tian, Kevin <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Because of the quadratic nature of HAP (i.e., number of lookups becomes N x M
rather than just N), there are still workloads where shadow pagetables performs
better than HAP.  On my list of things to do sometime when I have time:
* Implement native superpages for shadows (ie., the shadows themselves will
have superpages)
* Implement a way of automatically switching between shadow and HAP based on
the workload

As Jan says, the shadow case will be necessary if we do 5-level PV guests; and
I think it is still an important use case even for HVM guests (although it
certainly comes second to other features mentioned here).

 -George