Re: [Xen-devel] Possible improvement to Xen Security Response Process

On Wed, 2016-12-07 at 16:23 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I have an alternative concrete suggestion:
>
>  Unless there are good reasons to diverge, our suggestions to
>  discoverer(s) will be based on the following criteria, in order of
>  precedence:
>  1. Avoiding disclosure on Fridays, weekends, or on or immediately
>     before widely respected public holidays.
>  2. Minimising the number of distinct publication dates
>     within each 14 day period.
>  3. Making the preparation period for each advisory as close,
>     on a log scale, to 14 days as possible.
>  (The preparation period for an advisory is the period between
>  predisclosure and publication.)
> Bunfight, anyone ?
>

> Ian.
> (Responding with a personal opinion, and hence from a personal
>  email address.  I haven't discussed this with my management at
>  Citrix.)

I'll join in the bunfight with a stronger proposal (noting in passing
that according to https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/ we are now expecting 5
consecutive weeks of XSA announcements):
1) Where practical, XSA public disclosures will be batched and announced
once per month.
2) The calendar of disclosure dates will be published well in advance
and will avoid Fridays, weekends, or dates on or immediately before
widely respected public holidays.
3) Issues will normally have at least 14 days pre-disclosure; this means
that an issue discovered immediately prior to a scheduled publication
date will normally not be disclosed until the next publication date.

Clearly there will be times when this can't be done; I am also aware
that discoverers always have the final say.  But both of those points
apply to the current policy as well.

I know that this would be a significant change.  However, the present
frequent and unpredictable nature of disclosures consumes a lot of time
that would otherwise be better spent on contributing to and improving
Xen.

Matthew