Re: [Xen-devel] xen-4.8-rc7 in Stretch with linux-image 4.8 fails to boot domU with pv-grub

Sorry for the noise. I had the debian build flags like:
====== flags =======
DPKG_EXPORT_BUILDFLAGS = 1
include /usr/share/dpkg/default.mk
export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=hardening=-pie
======= snip ======
this caused pv-grub to fail to boot domU
Once I used
export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=hardening=-all

and rebuilt, things were good again.

PryMar56

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:59 AM, Juergen Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 30/11/16 10:41, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Built & packaged xen 4.8-rc7 in Stretch (deb9) today.
>> xen-4.8-rc7 in Stretch with linux-image 4.8, fails to boot domU kernel with
>> pv-grub:    https://paste.debian.net/plain/899726
>> from config/Tools.mk: ZLIB  :=  -DHAVE_BZLIB -lbz2 -DHAVE_LZMA -llzma
>> -DHAVE_LZO1X -llzo2
>> this worked with 4.8-rc6, as of Nov. 23.
>> I also tried to downgrade the pv-grub to 4.6 and it still failed, so I
>> suspect some interaction with xl.
>>
>> I found the exact same behavior in Ubuntu Xenial, that is none of my pv-grub
>> domU start.
>> However regular pygrub, and pv-grub2 are working fine to boot the same domU.

I can't reproduce this issue. pvgrub is working just fine booting either
a 3.0 or a 4.9 pv-kernel (used a fresh xen git tree from staging).

Can you please start the domain with

xl create -c <your-config>

and have a look whether you see some error output from pvgrub? You
might want to redirect output to a file or issue the command in a
terminal window with logging enabled as the pvgrub menu will blank
out some of the output.

Juergen