Re: [Xen-devel] [RFD] OP-TEE (and probably other TEEs) support

On Thu, 1 Dec 2016, Volodymyr Babchuk wrote:
> [...]
> >>

> >> Thanks Julien from bringing me into the discussion. These are my
> >> thoughts on the matter.
> >>

> >> Running emulators in Dom0 (AKA QEMU on x86) has always meant giving them
> >> full Dom0 privileges so far. I don't think that is acceptable. There is
> >> work undergoing on the x86 side of things to fix the situation, see:
> >>

> >> http://marc.info/?i=1479489244-2201-1-git-send-email-paul.durrant%40citrix.com
> >>
> >> But if the past is any indication of future development speed, we are
> >> still a couple of Xen releases away at least from having unprivileged
> >> emulators in Dom0 on x86. By unprivileged, I mean that they are not able
> >> to map any random page in memory, but just the ones belonging to the
> >> virtual machine that they are serving. Until then, having an emulator in
> >> userspace Dom0 is just as bad as having it in the hypervisor from a
> >> security standpoint.
> >>
> >> I would only consider this option, if we mandate from the start, in the
> >> design doc and implementations, that the emulators need to be
> >> unprivileged on ARM. This would likely require a new set of hypercalls
> >> and possibly Linux privcmds. And even then, this solution would still
> >> present a series of problems:
> >>
> >> - latency
> >> - scalability
> >> - validation against the root of trust
> >> - certifications (because they are part of Dom0 and nobody can certify
> >>   that)
> >>

> >> The other option that traditionally is proposed is using stubdoms.
> >> Specialized little VMs to run emulators, each VM runs one emulator
> >> instance. They are far better from a security standpoint, and could be
> >> certifiable. They might still pose problems from a root of trust point
> >> of view. However the real issue with stubdoms, is just that being
> >> treated as VMs they show up in "xl list", they introduce latency, they
> >> consume a lot of memory, etc. Also dealing with Mini-OS can be unfunny.
> >> I think that this option is only a little better than the previous
> >> option, but it is still not great.
> >>

> >> This brings us to the third and last option. Introducing the emulators
> >> in the hypervisor. This is acceptable only if they are run in a lower
> >> privilege mode, so that a guest breaking into an emulator doesn't
> >> compromise the system. An emulator crashing doesn't crash the host. In
> >> other words, we need a way to run emulators in EL1 in Xen. Something
> >> similar has been prototyped on x86:
> >>
> >> http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=146771783917640
> >>
> >> It would allow us to run emulators securely from within the hypervisor,
> >> offering the best performance and security trade-off. One day we could
> >> even support loading new emulators from userspace, a la insmod. I think
> >> this is the best option. It might be a bit more work. We have a chance
> >> to learn from past mistakes and design the best possible solution from
> >> the start here and we should take it.
> >

> > In general, I agree that running the emulators in Xen in a lower privilege
> > mode (EL1 or EL0) would be the best solution.

Good!

> > From what Volodymyr said the SMC call issued by the guest would need to be
> > analyzed in order to translate IPA -> PA. We also need to forbid some SMC
> > call from the guest where it will impact all TEE (e.g such as reset...).
> True.
>
> > In summary, we need a white-list in Xen to avoid the guest using an SMC that
> > has been added in newer version of TEE but not been supported by the
> > Hypervisor. So the hypervisor will be tight to a specific version of TEE.
> >
> > This does not scale for a longer term support within the hypervisor.
> On other hand internal TEE API does not change frequently. Actuall,y
> OP-TEE maintainers try to make all changes backwards-compatible. So,
> say, newer Normal World client can work with older OP-TEE kernel and
> vice versa. Thus, it is not big deal if there will be some lag in
> hypervisor support.

We would have the same issue using an external emulator, QEMU style. We
would also have to maintain it, provide long term support and deal with
compatibilities. I don't think that having the emulators in xen.git
would make any difference in this regard.

> Also, Stefano proposed to load emulators as modules. In this case,
> strictly speaking, emulator will be not a part of the hypervisor.

Yes, this is important. The emulators might be part of the Xen codebase,
they might live somewhere under xen.git, but they are not part of the
hypervisor. It is an important technical and messaging differentiation.
Going forward, we don't want the Xen on ARM LOC count to increase
exponentially because of the emulators.