Re: [Xen-devel] PV and HVM domains left as zombies with grants [was: Re: AW: Payed Xen Admin]

  • To: Thomas Toka <toka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Juergen Schinker <ba1020@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:31:54 +0000 (GMT)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:32:09 +0000

> xenversion: It happened with 4.4.1 from Debian Jessie, then we upgraded the
> Hypervisor to 4.8-rc from Debian Stretch. Symptoms are the same.
>
> So now its
>
> (d11) HVM Loader
>
> (d11) Detected Xen v4.8.0-rc

Debian Strech has now 4.8.0.rc5-1  and I think it's very stable....

> Kernel is our build:
> [ http://mirror.ip-projects.de/kernel/linux-image-4.8.10-xen_4810_amd64.deb |
> http://mirror.ip-projects.de/kernel/linux-image-4.8.10-xen_4810_amd64.deb ]
> (config file inside .deb as you know..)
>
> And yes its Linux 4.8.10 from linux.org. We maintain our own .deb packeges for
> all latest kernel.

why do you do this? esp (I assume) on Production machines? I have done it
myself and consider it very risky...

you don't need the bleeding edge kernel - and what is the advantage?

Compiling the latest kernel requires a lot of experience and knowldege what the
kernel hacker are doing and

you need to follow the lkml mailinglist which is another beast mighter than the
xen-devel.

Have you considered an Orchestration tool etc ?

How do you let customer create or destroy machines?

Do you use PVM ?

How do you plan to pay for XEN-Support - have you considered Bitcoin ?

Gruesse

Juergen