Re: [Xen-devel] Xen compilation fails for ARM32 when recompiled on a ARM64 build

create ^
title it makefile: clean target should affect the whole tree
severity it wishlist
thanks

On 24/11/16 16:12, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 24.11.16 at 16:58, <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 24/11/16 15:53, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 24/11/16 15:48, Bhupinder Thakur wrote:
If I manually remove the following files and recompile then
compilation is successful:

Remove xen/arch/arm/asm-offsets.s
Remove xen/arch/arm/xen.lds

The same issue happens if you build for ARM32 first and then try to
build for ARM64. After removing the 2 files manually, the compilation
is successful.

I am using the following toolchains:
gcc-linaro-4.9-2014.11-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu.tar.xz (for ARM64 build)
x86_64-gcc-4.9.0-nolibc_arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi.tar.xz (for ARM32
build -
https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/files/bin/x86_64/4.9.0/)

I think probably the above-mentioned two files need to be removed
automatically when make distclean is run.

They should be deleted on `make clean`.  They are temporary files just
like .o's

It will only happen if you do make clean XEN_TARGET_ARCH=arm64/arm32.

This is because target clean/distclean is only called for a given
architecture (by the default the host one).

I am not sure whether we should clean for any architecture.

I think it would be nice if "clean" affected the whole tree, but for
now I think those who really can't afford separate build trees
will need to live with having to pass XEN_TARGET_ARCH= on
the clean invocation.

Jan

--
Julien Grall