Re: [Xen-devel] Problems with livepatching

On 11/24/2016 01:08 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 12:13:43AM +0000, M A Young wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016, Andrew Cooper wrote:

On 23/11/2016 23:06, M A Young wrote:
I have been experimenting with live patching with the recent batch of
security updates on Fedora xen with very limited success. I had most
attempts with a test build of xen-4.8.0-rc6, and of the updates I have
tried only xsa192.patch uploads successfully. For example with
xsa191.patch the upload fails with the output
Uploading /tmp/xen-debuginfo/out1/xsa191.livepatch (1561400 bytes)
Upload failed: /tmp/xen-debuginfo/out1/xsa191.livepatch, error: 2(No such
file or directory)!
and in xl dmesg a long debugging output ends with the line
(XEN) livepatch_elf.c:295: livepatch: xsa191: Unknown symbol: .LC0
with a similar line (mostly with .LC0 but with .LC3 in one case) for the
other failed attempts. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem
with live patching in this case?

This looks like a problem generating the livepatch itself, not the
livepatching mechanism.

Make sure you are completely up to date with the livepatch tools
userspace.  There was one bug in livepatch generation which was
discovered due to XSA-191 and fixed (actually a preexisting bug even in
Linux), but its symptoms were innocuous until you patched, at which vcpu
context switch blew up.

Where is this latest version available from? I had checked the git repo on
xenbits
http://xenbits.xenproject.org/gitweb/?p=livepatch-build-tools.git;a=summary
but the last commit was 4 months ago.

Here is the patch that Ross has been working on - it is being first reviewed
for merge in the upstream version of kpatch. Hence hasn't been posted. But
posting it here.

I've also got a patch to fix the build with GCC 6 which I shall send out shortly. This should fix the 'Unknown symbol' issue.

--
Ross Lagerwall