[Xen-devel] [Fwd: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga]

Making the thread appear on xen-devel, as it actually was not there,
because I can't type! :-/

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ian Jackson <ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 18:08:57 +0000
Mailer: VM 8.2.0b under 24.4.1 (i586-pc-linux-gnu)

Dario Faggioli writes ("Wondering about cirris and stdvga"):

> I've also read around that these days, e.g., stdvga is at least as
> good
> as cirrus,

You pasted a url in IRC which seemed to be arguing that but actually
failed to make the case.  (Sorry, don't have it to hand now.)

> performance wise, that cirrus is broken and impossible to
> fix (because it is the hardware that it's emulating that was broken),
> that stdvga enables better screen resolution in guests, etc.

The "broken and impossible to fix" sounds like FUD TBH.

I wouldn't want to change the default just because Wayland is broken.
Wayland should be fixed.

There may be other reasons to change the default but none of what you
said is convincing.  (Partly because it's mostly rumours.)

Thanks,
Ian.