Re: [Xen-devel] New Outreachy Applicant

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 04:24:47PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> Thanks for your interest in the Xen Project!  Sorry for the delay in
> responding -- somehow your mail either never made it to my personal
> inbox or I accidentally deleted it instead of filing it properly.  I
> saw your question on IRC and now found your mail here on xen-devel.
>
> First, I want to emphasize that Outreachy internships should be
> considered a full-time job.  As part of the application process you
> will be asked to confirm that you will not be taking any classes, nor
> have any other significant commitments (such as another job) during
> the period of the internship.

I'll confirm now that won't be taking any classes or working during the
majority of the program, however the fall semester for my college will
end around the 20th of December.

> Now on to the bite-sized task.  We've actually found that one of the
> difficult parts of getting going with our project is making sure that
> you understand how to get your whole system and environment set up.
> And another thing we want to see is to what degree you can balance
> figuring things out, finding the answers on the web, and asking for
> help when you need it.
>
> So with that in mind, we've started experimenting with tasks which
> don't contribute very much to the project directly, but provide a
> really solid base of knowledge to do further contributions.
>
> So here's my challenge for you.
>
> -------
> OUTCOME
>
> Write a simple go program that will list the current cpu pools,
> similar to the output of "xl cpupool-list".  No need to handle extra
> arguments or modify libxl.go (beyond what may be needed to compile it).

RESULTS:
I've managed to get xen running on my local machine. I am running linux natively
on ubuntu with xen 4.8-unstable and it is running reasonable well.
There are two VM's running on my computer, one is named tutorial-pv-guest that I
created by following the xen beginners guide. The other is called ubuntu1 and
was created through a custom configuration file that I created. I wasn't having
much luck with the outreachy tutorial provided so after some googling the link
below really helped me get through the process.

http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Building_a_Xen_Guest_Domain_using_Xen-Tools

> Please post a copy of your .go program, along with the results of
> output *when more than one VM is running*.

The output when I run "sudo go run libxl.go" is pasted below. The output was
made
when the two VM's mentioned above were running. It prints out the appropiate
output for Pool Name, Scheduler, and Domain Count.
All the changes in libxl.go are contained within the main() method and the
libxl.go
file is pasted below as well.

CONCERNS/QUESTIONS:
I believe I was only able to print out the information for Name, Sched, and
Domain
count because the other information such as Active and CPU's are not stored
within
CpupoolInfo. Was there a way I could obtain that information? I don't think the
code privided had that functionality. Maybe the next task could be to add that
functionality?
It also seems that Domain Count is off. The command "xl cpupool-list" lists 3
domains
(which are Dom0, tutorial-pv-guest, and ubuntu1) but my program returns 11
domains.
Would you like me to look into the issue? I'm using the information called from
Ctx.ListCpupool() so I may have to take a closer look at that code.

Thank You!
Ronald Rojas