Re: [Xen-devel] PCIe devices that are hotplugged after MMIO has been setup fail due to _CRS not covering 64-bit area

>>> On 27.09.16 at 16:43, <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the guest is booted with 'pci' we nicely expand the MMIO region below
> 4GB and try to fit in the BARs in there. If that fails (not enough
> space) we move it above the memory (64-bit). And throughout all of this
> we also update the _CRS field to cover these ranges.
>
> (Note, I need to check if the 64-bit area is also set, I think it is).
>
> But the situation is different if we hot-plug a device that has too big
> BAR to fit in the MMIO region. We move it in the 64-bit area but we
> don't update the _CRS. Which means that Linux will complain (unless
> booted with pci=nocrs)). Not sure about Windows but I would assume so
> to.
>
> I was wondering what would be a good way to solve this? I looked at some
> Dell machines to see how they deal with hotplug PCIe devices and they
> just declared all the memory in the _CRS (including RAM).
>
> We could do a hybrid - during bootup make the _CRS region have entry from
> end of RAM to .. end of memory?

End of physical address space you mean? Generally yes, but we
need to be a little careful there: For one, on AMD we'd better not
overlap with the HT area. And then there's this MTRR related
comment next to the setting of pci_hi_mem_end (albeit both HT
area start and end of PA space should be aligned well enough).

> Or perhaps add some extra logic between QEMU and ACPI AML to expand (or
> perhaps modify the last _CRS entry) when PCIe devices are hotplugged?

While that would be the most flexible variant, I'd be afraid of this
getting rather complicated. Or have you already got some
reasonable layout of how this would look like?

Jan