Re: [Xen-devel] [v2 0/3] Enable L2 Cache Allocation Technology

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:06:54AM +0800, Yi Sun wrote:
> On 16-09-22 11:18:12, Wei Liu wrote:
> > Hi Yi
> >
> > Thanks for submitting this series.  I see that all the actual patches
> > are not chained to 0/3. It would be better if they show up as replies to
> > 0/3.
> >
> > The workflow for sending patch series differs from person to person, so
> > we don't want to  dictate how you use your tool. But we have written a
> > wiki page on how to submit patches to xen-devel. That contains some tips
> > about git.
> >
> > https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches#Sending_the_patches_to_the_list
> >
> > Feel free to ask questions here. I would be happy to share how I do it
> > if you're interested.
> >
> > Wei.
>
> Hi, Wei,
>
> Thanks a lot for your kindness! I just went through the wiki and found I
> should use '--in-reply-to=', right? If you can share your steps that would
> be great.

Assuming you send out your cover letter separately from your patches,
yes, --in-reply-to= is the option that you need to add to `git
send-email' invocation. The <identifier> (see `git help send-email')
part is the message id of your cover letter. You should be able to get
that after sending out the cover letter.

My current preferred workflow is to have git handle everything for me.
I have a separate file for the *content* of cover letter. And to generate
everything including the cover letter *email*:

$ git format-patch <revision range> --reroll-count=$N --cover-letter

Then you will have v$N-0000-cover-letter.patch plus a few v$N-*.patch.
Use you favourite text editor to edit the cover letter, import the
content, edit it as you wish.

To send out all you patches including the cover letter:

$ git send-email *.patch --to xen-devel@... --cc maintainers@...  --dry-run

When you're confident the list of emails looks correct, delete --dry-run
to actually send them.

This way git send-email will automatically chain all actual patches to
cover letter.

Some people have built other tools on top of porcelain git to track more
stuff. I'm experimenting with a tool called git-series, but it is too
early to say if it is the right tool for me.

Anyway, read git manpage. It has a lot of information in it.

> Can I send the patches again after addressing Ian's comments?

It's better to wait a bit for hypervisor maintainers to comment on the
first three patches.

Wei.