Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] x86/vm_event: Allow returning i-cache for emulation

On 09/09/16 16:41, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> When emulating instructions the emulator maintains a small i-cache fetched
> from the guest memory. Under certain scenarios this memory region may contain
> instructions that a monitor subscriber would prefer to hide, namely INT3, and
> instead would prefer to emulate a different instruction in-place.
>
> This patch extends the vm_event interface to allow returning this i-cache via
> the vm_event response.

So do you have a problem right now with stale caches (i.e., you modify
an INT3 back to something else in guest RAM but the emulator still
emulates the INT3)?  Or is the idea here that instead of doing the
replace-singlestep-replace loop, you just tell the emulator, "Here,
emulate this instead" (without removing the INT3 from guest memory at all)?

(Or am I completely missing the point here?)

 -George