[Xen-devel] Issue in MPX support in Xen

Hello Xen team,

We are working on enabling XEN with WindRiver Simics, which is Intel reference functional simulator for servers.

We found the issue in XEN with MPX using.

If MPX is supported by CPUID, but MPX is not supported by VMX, XEN is failing on store CPU MSR GUEST_BNDCFGS (file xen-4.7.0/xen/arch/x86/hvm/vmx/vmx.c:798).

SDM says in 24.4.1 Guest Register State:

IA32_BNDCFGS (64 bits). This field is supported only on processors that support either the 1-setting of the
“load IA32_BNDCFGS” VM-entry control or that of the “clear IA32_BNDCFGS” VM-exit control.

Looks like XEN doesn’t consult VM-entry control or VM-exit control listed in SDM.

Best regards,

Dmitry Rockosov

SSG Simics server modeling team (STC, Moscow)

Joint Stock Company Intel A/O
17 Krylatskaya Str., Bldg 4, Moscow 121614,
Russian Federation