Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC Design Doc v2] Add vNVDIMM support for Xen

On 08/03/16 03:47, Jan Beulich wrote:

> >> Right now Dom0 isn't allowed to access any memory in use by Xen
> >> (and not explicitly shared), and I don't think we should deviate
> >> from that model for pmem.
> >
> > In this design, Xen hypervisor unmaps the reserved area from Dom0 so
> > that Dom0 cannot access the reserved area afterwards. And "balloon" is
> > in fact not a memory ballooning, because Linux kernel never allocates
> > from pmem like normal ram. In my current implementation, it's just to
> > remove the reserved area from a resource struct covering pmem.
>
> Ah, in that case please either use a different term, or explain what
> "balloon out" is meant to mean in this context.

> >> Okay. But then how do particular ranges get associated with the
> >> owning guest(s)? Merely by SPA would seem rather fragile to me.
> >>

> > By using the file name, e.g. if I specify vnvdimm = [ 'file=/mnt/dax/foo' ]
> > in a domain config file, SPA occupied by /mnt/dax/foo are mapped to
> > the domain.  If the same file is used every time the domain is created,
> > the same virtual device will be seen by that domain.
>
> So what if the file got deleted and re-created in between? Since
> I don't think you can specify the SPAs to use when creating such
> a file, such an operation would be quite different from removing
> and re-adding e.g. a specific PCI device (to be used by a guest)
> on a host (while the guest is not running).

If modified in between, guest will see a virtual pmem device of
different data. But the usage of pmem is similar to disk: if a file of
the same content is given every time, the guest can get a virtual
pmem/disk of the same data as last reboot/shutdown; keeping the data
unchanged between multiple boots is out of the scope of Xen.

Haozhong