Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic on Xen virtualisation in Debian

Hello,

one of the servers that crashes sometimes because of this issue is mine.
Jan is also using this server and therefore interested in a solution.

We are not sure whether it is a Xen or Kernel Issue, but on the Kernel
and Debian bugtrackers no one answered, so we figured it might be worth
a try asking on this list.

The kernel panics first happened in summer 2014, multiple times a week.
We tried various kernel versions back then - it suddenly stopped
although we didn't change anything after the latest crash back then.

After that, the server ran without problems running Kernel 3.15.7 on Xen
4.4.0 until November 2015.
After that, the server ran on Xen 4.4.4-pre and Debians 3.16 Kernel.
The crash happend again in May and after that, running Xen 4.4.4 and an
updated Debian 3.16 Kernel, it happened in June.

In May, Ingo Jürgensmann also started experiencing this problem and
blogged about it:
https://blog.windfluechter.net/content/blog/2016/03/23/1721-xen-randomly-crashing-server
https://blog.windfluechter.net/content/blog/2016/05/12/1723-xen-randomly-crashing-server-part-2

He is pretty sure, that the problem went away after disabling IPv6.
But: we can't say for sure, because on our server it sometimes happened
often in a short period of time, but then it didn't for months.
and: disabling IPv6 is no option for me at all.

@Wei
So far we didn't find a way to reproduce the kernel panic...

Andreas.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------