Re: [Xen-devel] Next 4.6.x stable release, numbering, qemu-tag

On 15/06/16 08:38, Jan Beulich wrote:

> As said on IRC this morning, while I continue to by unconvinced of the
> arguments, being the only one wanting to stick with 4.6.2 I'm not going
> to argue any further on this - be it 4.6.3 then. The only thing I would
> really like to ask is that this time (as should have happened in the first
> place), before tagging respective trees, everyone please make sure
> everything intended to be in the tree they're responsible for indeed is
> there. I really want to be able to rely on everybody having their trees
> (or parts thereof) under control.

I think this is an unreasonable expectation -- how is someone supposed
to know whether a new critical issue is going to be reported seconds
after they sign and push the tag?  It amounts to saying, "Please make
sure there are no bugs in your tree."

The version of qemu-xen that was tagged with 4.6 had been through
several rounds of RCs, months of osstesting, and even through a slew of
builds on Travis (which does build Ubuntu, but apparently just not the
bleeding-edge version).  I only happened to notice it as I was trying to
get patches for raisin for 4.7.

I am going to try to get build tests for a wide range of distros on a
regular basis, which will close this particular kind of bug.  But there
are innumerable other types of bug which still won't be caught; that's
just a fact of software development.

 -George