Re: [Xen-devel] HEADS UP: Imported Xen 4.7: no blkback

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 12:16:59AM +0000, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2016, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
>
> > One of the more relevant changes in 4.7 regarding FreeBSD is the support
> > for
> > block hotplug scripts. This means that we now have the option to use
> > backends different than simple block or regular files, provided that
> > someone
> > writes the proper hotplug scripts to attach them (I've heard there are some
> > iSCSI hotplug scripts around). This however requires changes in blkback, so
> > if you plan to use the Xen 4.7 port, please make sure that you are running
> > kernel that contains revision r301269 (or any later version). The same also
>
> I am running it with r301685 and the HVM guests have some trouble with
> block devices.
>
> SeaBIOS does not find /dev/zvol/zroot/freebsd1,raw,xvda,w to boot FreeBSD
> from, after chaging to "hda" I get up to the kernel mountroot prompt
> (Xen block devices seem to be detected in dmesg).

Yes, this is intentional, see:

https://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=144482080812353

Have you checked if you need to change your /etc/fstab to correctly point
to the new device? Does FreeBSD correctly list the disk(s) at the mountroot
prompt when issuing a "?" command?

Also, can you paste the output of `xenstore-ls -fp` from Dom0 when this
happens?

> What used to be Windows 2016 domU with /dev/zvol/zroot/windows0,raw,hda,w
> ends up in the Tianocore UEFI shell. Block devices seem to be available,
> I can even list the fs0: partition, but no booting further possible.

Hm, I've never used Tianocore myself, so I'm not sure what the issue could
be here. Again, can you post the output of `xenstore-ls -fp` from Dom0 when
this happens? At least this will show if the PV block device has been
correctly attached.

Roger.