Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 10/16] xen/arm: Introduce alternative runtime patching

Hi Konrad,

On 06/06/16 15:17, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Thu, Jun 02, 2016 at 04:14:04PM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:

On 02/06/16 16:04, Julien Grall wrote:
Hi Konrad,

On 02/06/16 15:46, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 11:24:10AM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
On 31/05/16 10:21, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016, Julien Grall wrote:
By spinning in __apply_alternatives_multi_stop we protect us against
modification in the common code and tricky bug (yes it might be
difficult to
hit and debug).

I feel that you are moving down the stack to try to make the
impact of doing modifications have no impact (or as low as possible).

And it would work now, but I am concerned that in the future it may be
not soo future proof.

Can you detail here?

Would it perhaps make sense to make some of the livepatching mechanism
be exposed as general code? And use it for alternative asm as well?

The code to sync the CPU looks very similar to stop_machine, so why
would we want to get yet another mechanism to sync the CPUs and execute
a specific function?

I forgot to mention that apply_alternatives_all is only called one time
during the boot and before CPU0 goes in idle_loop. If we have to patch
afterward, we would use apply_alternatives which consider that all the CPUs
have been parked somewhere else.

Oh, in that case please just mention that in the commit description.

Will do in the next version.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall