Re: [Xen-devel] 4.7 qemu regression: HVM guests fail to boot from xvda

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 11:40:51PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, Olaf Hering wrote:
>
> > Here is a list. Essentially it means that upgrading dom0 to xen-4.7
> > might break existing domU if they happen to use xvd* in domU.cfg:
>
> Actually the list goes like shown below after some real testing.
> Now sure why xvd/qemu-xen/raw|qcow2 fails with our 4.5.2 based dom0.
> In the end the regression remains in xvd+qemu-xen.
>
> tool_ver  vdev_str  qemu   format  usable  bootable
> xen-4.5     xvd     qtrad    raw    yes     no
> xen-4.5     xvd     qtrad   qcow2   no      -
> xen-4.5     xvd     qmain    raw    yes     SUSE:no, staging:yes
> xen-4.5     xvd     qmain   qcow2   yes     SUSE:no, staging:yes

What does "staging" mean?

> xen-4.5     hd      qtrad    raw    yes     yes
> xen-4.5     hd      qtrad   qcow2   no      -
> xen-4.5     hd      qmain    raw    yes     yes
> xen-4.5     hd      qmain   qcow2   yes     yes
>

> xen-4.6     xvd     qtrad    raw    yes     no
> xen-4.6     xvd     qtrad   qcow2   no      -
> xen-4.6     xvd     qmain    raw    yes     yes
> xen-4.6     xvd     qmain   qcow2   yes     yes
> xen-4.6     hd      qtrad    raw    yes     yes
> xen-4.6     hd      qtrad   qcow2   no      -
> xen-4.6     hd      qmain    raw    yes     yes
> xen-4.6     hd      qmain   qcow2   yes     yes
>

> xen-4.7     xvd     qtrad    raw    yes     no
> xen-4.7     xvd     qtrad   qcow2   no      -
> xen-4.7     xvd     qmain    raw    yes     no
> xen-4.7     xvd     qmain   qcow2   yes     no
> xen-4.7     hd      qtrad    raw    yes     yes
> xen-4.7     hd      qtrad   qcow2   no      -
> xen-4.7     hd      qmain    raw    yes     yes
> xen-4.7     hd      qmain   qcow2   yes     yes

So the last column only apply to xenlinux kernel?

I expect pvops to be all "yes" because it doesn't use vdev_str. I also
expect freebsd to work because it parses vbd number and translates that
to freebsd-speak device identifier.

Wei.