Re: [Xen-devel] 4.7 qemu regression: HVM guests fail to boot from xvda

On Wed, Jun 01, Wei Liu wrote:

> So I think the safest option now is to revert the said patch and figure
> out what to do next.

What did OSStest report when c0c099d got into the tree? Do these test
domU.cfg files contain vdev=hd instead of vdev=xvd, so the boot breakage
was not noticed?

What are the options we have to define a disk connected to an PIIX or
AHCI controller? I see xl.cfg has hdtype=. Is vdev hd vs. xvd really the
best way to describe a PV-only disk? It looks like the answer is yes.
hdtype= describes the controller variant, and vdev= the disk variant.

So in the end it needs to be documented properly that moving dom0 to
xen-4.7 requires adjustments to vdev= in domU.cfg (xvd -> hd), and that
this MAY have an impact for domU frontend drivers which use the vdev
string as is.
Namely this affects SLE11, SLE12, SLE12SP1, openSUSE up to Leap 42.1.
Upcoming releases use a pvops based kernel, so the device names are
fixed.
Konrad mentioned Solaris, no idea if its frontend driver uses the vdev
string. BSD should be checked as well.

Olaf