Re: [Xen-devel] 4.7 qemu regression: HVM guests fail to boot from xvda

>>> On 31.05.16 at 14:00, <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Really 'vdev' string in the the guest config file is only meant to
> tell libxl how it should behave -- it should ideally not have any
> effect on what devices you see in the backend.  And furthermore, it
> seems to me that when Linux upstream rejected the idea of the pv
> drivers stealing the "hd*" namespace, that SuSE's xenlinux should have
> followed suit and had the pv drivers only create devices named xvd*.
>
> But I recognize if you're selling an enterprise kernel, those sorts of
> "you should have done this X years ago" doesn't really help you keep
> your promises to your users now. :-)

Not just that: We'd have had the problems converting guests
back then which we're having now. Yet I think such problems
shouldn't have got introduced in the first place. But yes, since
when would Linux maintainers care much about Xen-specific
issues... (And all of this is not to say that I'm convinced this
stealing of hd* and sd* name spaces was a good idea.)

Jan