Re: [Xen-devel] Discussion about virtual iommu support for Xen guest

KVM wants things done in Qemu as much as possible. Now Xen may
have more things moved into hypervisor instead for HVMLite. The end
result is that many new platform features from IHVs will require
double effort in the future (nvdimm is another example) which means
much longer enabling path to bring those new features to customers.

I can understand the importance of covering HVMLite in Xen community,
but is it really the only factor to negate Qemu option?

> From a design point of view, having Xen needing to delegate to qemu to
> inject an interrupt into a guest seems backwards.
>

> A whole lot of this would be easier to reason about if/when we get a
> basic root port implementation in Xen, which is necessary for HVMLite,
> and which will make the interaction with qemu rather more clean.  It is
> probably worth coordinating work in this area.

Would it make Xen too complex? Qemu also has its own root port
implementation, and then you need some tricks within Qemu to not
use its own root port but instead registering to Xen root port. Why is
such movement more clean?

> As for the individual issue of 288vcpu support, there are already issues
> with 64vcpu guests at the moment.  While it is certainly fine to remove
> the hard limit at 255 vcpus, there is a lot of other work required to
> even get 128vcpu guests stable.

Thanks
Kevin