[Xen-devel] Question about the usage of spinlock

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: 조현권 <chkwon91@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 10:30:47 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 26 May 2016 08:53:38 +0000

Hi

I am studying xen 4.6.0 version now and wonder the usage of spinlock which is located in free_heap_pages(xen/common/page_alloc. c)

As its memory setup is ahead of multicore initialization, spinlock seems to be unnecessary during booting because it uses only single core

spinlock looks required after multicore initialization finished and when xen needs to free memory space during work

However i experimented not to use spin lock in free_heap_pages and dom0(linux-kernel) was booted well. It does not cause any error using internet or application program even reboot

Are therr any special reason to use spinlock?

My experiment environment was ODROID-XU4 which uses arm architecture

Thabk you