Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] Linux process vruntime accounting in Xen

[Adding George again, and a few Linux/Xen folks]

On Sat, 2016-05-14 at 18:25 -0600, Tony S wrote:
> In virtualized environments, sometimes we need to limit the CPU
> resources to a virtual machine(VM). For example in Xen, we use
> $ xl sched-credit -d 1 -c 50
>
> to limit the CPU resource of dom 1 as half of
> one physical CPU core. If the VM CPU resource is capped, the process
> inside the VM will have a vruntime accounting problem. Here, I report
> my findings about Linux process scheduler under the above scenario.

Thanks for this other report as well. :-)

All you say makes sense to me, and I will think about it. I'm not sure
about one thing, though...

> ------------Description------------
> Linux CFS relies on delta_exec to charge the vruntime of processes.
> The variable delta_exec is the difference of a process starts and
> stops running on a CPU. This works well in physical machine. However,
> in virtual machine under capped resources, some processes might be
> accounted with inaccurate vruntime.
>
> For example, suppose we have a VM which has one vCPU and is capped to
> have as much as 50% of a physical CPU. When process A inside the VM
> starts running and the CPU resource of that VM runs out, the VM will
> be paused. Next round when the VM is allocated new CPU resource and
> starts running again, process A stops running and is put back to the
> runqueue. The delta_exec of process A is accounted as its "real
> execution time" plus the paused time of its VM. That will make the
> vruntime of process A much larger than it should be and process A
> would not be scheduled again for a long time until the vruntimes of
> other
> processes catch it.
> ---------------------------------------
>

> ------------Analysis----------------
> When a process stops running and is going to put back to the
> runqueue,
> update_curr() will be executed.
> [src/kernel/sched/fair.c]
>
> static void update_curr(struct cfs_rq *cfs_rq)
> {
>     ... ...
>     delta_exec = now - curr->exec_start;
>     ... ...
>     curr->exec_start = now;
>     ... ...
>     curr->sum_exec_runtime += delta_exec;
>     schedstat_add(cfs_rq, exec_clock, delta_exec);
>     curr->vruntime += calc_delta_fair(delta_exec, curr);
>     update_min_vruntime(cfs_rq);
>     ... ...
> }
>
> "now" --> the right now time
> "exec_start" --> the time when the current process is put on the CPU
> "delta_exec" --> the time difference of a process between it starts
> and stops running on the CPU
>
> When a process starts running before its VM is paused and the process
> stops running after its VM is unpaused, the delta_exec will include
> the VM suspend time which is pretty large compared to the real
> execution time of a process.

... but would that also apply to a VM that is not scheduled --just
because of pCPU contention, not because it was paused-- for a few time?

Isn't there anything in place in Xen or Linux (the latter being better
suitable for something like this, IMHO) to compensate for that?

I have to admit I haven't really ever checked myself, maybe either
George or our Linux people do know more?