Re: [Xen-devel] xc_altp2m_set_vcpu_enable_notify fail

On May 7, 2016 03:34, "Big Strong" <fangtuo90@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> libxc functions always return -1 when it fails. You need the specific
>> errno to know what went wrong.
>

> Yeah, I know it means a failure. Actually, I noticed that there is a comment at the source code of xen, which says :
>
> "This is a bit odd to me that it acts on current..  it return -1 directly"
>
> which is exactly about xc_altp2m_set_vcpu_enable_notify.  In my case, xc_altp2m_set_vcpu_enable_notify always return -1 just as the author comments.Besides, I've also found no existing usage about this function all over the Internet. So I'm wondering if this function actually works or not. Anyway, why would the author comments that? @Ian @Tamas

That's a comment I made while reviewing back when I wrote the userspace components and was left in and should be probably removed.

>> Do you have any difficulty debugging Xen? We might be able to give some
>> pointers on how to do that.
>

> Yeah, I've enabled debug option when compiling xen, what else steps should I take to use a remote gdb to debug xen instead of dom0 or domU?

You should put in some extra gdprintk's into the altp2m path of Xen to see how far it gets when you try to enable VE. That would enable us to pinpoint where it gets stuck exactly.

Tamas