Re: [Xen-devel] 2016 Xen hackathon notes - xenstored

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 04:33:31PM +0200, Filipe Manco wrote:
> Hi
>
> Regarding LiXS, our goal is to make it one of the upstream xenstore
> alternatives. For that I already started getting internal approvals
> to release the code open source, which should happen somewhere
> around next month. I also need to fix some bugs and would like to do
> some performance testing before the release.
>
> Once it is released, it would be nice to get some comments from the
> community on the implementation, specifically about how to make it
> upstreamable; I’ll let you know when the code is available.
>
> Does this plan sound reasonable?

I have no say in the Xen community, but to me this sounds reasonable,
you should have competing solutions and let people win, its the
same principle that was applied to Linux Security Modules, for
instance, and that philosophy tends to enable all viable options
to compete while upstream. For Xen, there are already 2 xenstores,
having another IMHO should just require commitment for a maintainer
to upkeep it. Without that it should make no sense.

You also require C++ though ? That's a new requirement AFAICT, so
that would need to be addressed.

If it were up to me, I'd recommend to consider extending Kconfig
onto tools, and then having the xenstore be a Kconfig option.

  Luis