Re: [Xen-devel] HVMLite / PVHv2 - using x86 EFI boot entry

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:01:18PM +0200, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 03:22:23PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> > > Probably a confusion again on terms, by the above I meant to say what you
> > > seem
> > > to be indicating below, which is to keep old PV guest support with PV
> > > interfaces
> > > using a new shiny entry.
> > >
> > > Or are we really going to nuke full support for old PV guests ?
> >
> > Please re-read my email. The hypervisor is not going to nuke it. Linux
> > will stop using them - and hence the pvops will be obsolete.
>
> I meant remove old PV guests support from Linux. You made it crystal clear
> that the hypervisor will keep legacy PV support.
>
> Are we going to remove old PV guest support from Linux upstream long term ?

Yes!
> If so then HVMLite design need not be concerned with supporting legacy crap.

Exactly.

> > > That's nice. *How* that is done is what we are determining here.
> >
> > What is being discussed is how PVH/HVMLite is suppose to bootup.
> > Or the merits of different bootup paths.
>
> That's part of it...
>
> > Unless you are saying that you want to be the maintainer of pvops
> > and want to extend the life of pvops in Linux and are trying to make
> > it work under HVMLite?
>
> Huh? If you look at pvops commits you'll see I've been responsible for
> most of the pvops removal already, my ongoing patches should show that
> my goal is to streamline this further.
>
> I want to clarify now then what our exist path is, do we need to care
> about legacy crap ?

exist? Existing?

And by 'legacy crap' you mean 'pvops' - then the answer is no.

The big existing use-case of pvops is to boot Linux as initial domain.
If we can swap it over to PVH/HVMLite then that frees us from having to
use pvops.