Re: [Xen-devel] Call for nominations for new Hypervisor subproject maintainers and committers

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that this hasn't dropped off my radar. We do have
a shortlist of people now, and I will need to reach out to people who were
nominated (and may not know they were). However due to Easter, the time-frame
may slip by a week.

> [...]
> Advisory Board would like to thank Keir, Tim and Ian for serving the
> Xen Project community and their manyfold and diverse contributions.
>
> Given, that as a project, we have found it difficult to promote
> contributors to maintainer and committer roles in the past, the remaining
> group of committers felt that we should use a more formal appointment
> process to successions and succession planning and have asked me to
> organise this process. Taking a longer term view, the committers also
> felt that we should not restrict the appointment process to replacing
> committer positions only, but to consider additional committer positions
> based on merit and to also include new maintainer nominations.
>
> Thus, to fill these positions, we are soliciting nominations. To nominate
> yourself or someone else within the community, please send e-mail to
> appointments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx with one of the following subject lines:
> - "Maintainer Nomination of [name]"
> - "Committer Nomination of [name]"
>
> Nominees will of course be asked, privately, whether they would be
> willing to serve, if they have been nominated by someone else.
>
> Please provide contact details (at least the full name and e-mail address
> of nominee) in the body of the e-mail and describe why the nominee would
> be a good fit a maintainer and/or committer. The body of the nomination
> should list technical knowledge that is needed to be a maintainer and/or
> committer and highlight core areas of expertise. In addition, we are also
> interested in specific instances, where the nominee showed communication
> and open source leadership qualities.
>
> For example:
> * Was able to help resolve disagreements, both technical and non-
>  technical, which you were a party to or observer of.
> * Was able to contribute to improve quality and architectural consistency
>  across several components within the Hypervisor
> * Has been involved in coordinating the activities of several community
>  members
> * Has led or driven technical initiatives or larger scale feature
>  development within the community
> * Has mentored and encouraged newcomers to the community
> * Has represented the project or aspects of it (e.g. via talks, blog
>  posts, ...)
> * Has shown other communication and open source leadership qualities
>
> Being a maintainer and/or committer does require a time commitment.
> Nominees should be able to follow e-mail discussions on xen-devel@ on an
> ongoing basis and respond within a couple of days so that discussions
> progress. Committers should ideally be able to spend a minimum of 4-5
> days working on the project per month. For maintainers, the time
> requirement is likely less.
>
> We anticipate starting our selection process according to the following
> rough time-table.
>
> Today:    Public call for nominations for new committers and maintainers
>          (self-nominations and 3rd-party nominations both welcome)

We are here and now have a short-list.

> up to
> March 30: We email non-self-nominated nominees in private to ask them
>          to confirm whether they are willing to act as nominees.
>          We will also discuss with all nominees, time commitment and
>          other possible questions (from both nominees and existing
>          committers), related to the proposed nominations.

I will start this after Easter Monday.

> March 30: We conduct a formal vote to ratify nominations
>
> April 6:  We publish the new maintainers and committers
>          (we may do this earlier)

I expect that this will slip by a week, as some people will be on vacation due
to Easter.

Best Regards
Lars