Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.6 --with-ovmf, on UEFI Dom0 host up/running, but logging repeated "d1v0 Over-allocation for domain" ?

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 08:21:40AM -0700, PGNet Dev wrote:
> On UEFI Dom0 with
>
>       xl info | egrep "release|version"
>               release                : 4.5.0-2.gb2c9ae5-default
>               version                : #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 16 17:30:21 UTC
> 2016
> (b2c9ae5)
>               xen_version            : 4.620160318T070646
>
> with Xen built with ovmf enabled, and guest booting UEFI,
>
> my Host & Guests are, atm, up & running.
>
> At Dom0 host, I'm seeing these constantly repeating (every 30-32 secs)
> messages

>       (XEN) [2016-03-18 14:54:35] d1v0 Over-allocation for domain 1: 524545 >
> 524544
>
> I've only found one mention of this exact error, in an OVMF-related post,
>
>       [Xen-devel] Regression in OVMF + RMRR series
>       http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-07/msg04901.html
>
> but it was not the primary focus of that issue.
>
> I understand EFI/OVMF dev is in heavy flux atm ...
>
> Is this currently known/expected?  Or, more info needed?

The log message isn't necessarily indication for a bug.

OVMF is huge, so it pushes up total memory consumption of the guest.  It
is normal that you see that message when using OVMF during boot time.

What is unclear to me is why your guest keeps trying to ask for more
pages after it boots up.  Is your guest trying to balloon in pages? Do
you see the same message repeated when using seabios?

Wei.