Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG?] qemuu only built with i386-softmmu

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 20:57 +1100, Steven Haigh wrote:
> >
> > > On thing I was sure on (so didn't write) is whether the second
> > > paragraph
> > > could have an extra sentence:
> > >
> > > ÂÂÂÂIf you are using a distro supplied QEMU then the qemu-system-x86_64
> > > ÂÂÂÂcould also be used, but it makes no practical difference to the
> > > ÂÂÂÂfunctionality of the system.
> > >
> > > I wasn't sure if that was true (I suspect it is) and in any case I
> > > think
> > > various bits of libxl etc will look for qemu-system-i386 in various
> > > paths
> > > so a user would need to try reasonably hard to do so by giving an
> > > explicit
> > > path and there is no real reason to do so maybe better not to muddy the
> > > waters?
> >
> > Maybe go along the lines of:
> >
> > "There is no practical difference between qemu-system-i386 and
> > qemu-system-x86_64 therefore both can be interchanged freely."
>
> Thanks, this is a good wording if it is indeed true (I'll wait for
> confirmation of that before I write it on the wiki).

Although it is technically true, within QEMU they are two different
build targets (i386-softmmu and x86_64-softmmu) and we only tests
i386-softmmu in OSSTest. It is possible that qemu-system-x86_64 might
break due to upstream changes while qemu-system-i386 could still work
and we might not notice.

I would write:

"There is no practical difference between qemu-system-i386 and
qemu-system-x86_64, they should be interchangeable. However only
qemu-system-i386 is regularly tested by OSSTest".