Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] support more qdisk types

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 03:06:01PM -0700, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Wei Liu wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 05:25:02PM -0700, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> >> I would like to hear the community's opinion on supporting more qdisk
> >> types in
> >> xl/libxl, e.g. nbd, rbd, iSCSI, etc. I prefer supporting additional qdisk
> >> types
> >> in libxl over apps like xl or libvirt doing all the setup, producing a
> >> block
> >> device, and then passing that to libxl. Each libxl app would have to
> >> re-implement functionality already provided by qdisk. libxl already
> >> supports
> >> IDE, AHCI, SCSI, and Xen PV qdisks. My suggestion is to extend that to
> >> initially
> >> include nbd, rbd, and iSCSI. Sheepdog, ssh, etc. could be added in the
> >> future.
> >>

> > This is a good idea in general.
> >
> >> I considered several approaches to supporting additional qdisk types, based
> >> primarily on changes to the disk cfg and interface. At one extreme is to
> >> change
> >> nothing and use the existing 'target=' to encode all required config for
> >> the
> >> additional qdisk types. libxl would need to be taught how to turn the blob
> >> into
> >> an appropriate qdisk.
> >
> > I think you mean "libxlu would need to be taught how to turn that blob
> > into an appropriate libxl_device_disk" -- libxl doesn't parse user
> > configuration, it deals with the libxl_device_disk directly to construct
> > arguments for QEMU.
>
> Right. But if the configuration is all encoded in 'target=', libxlu already
> parses that and puts it in libxl_device_disk.pdev_path.
>
> > Either it is done by extending target= or adding discrete options, the
> > heavy lifting is going to be in libxlu.  I don't think we want to parse
> > a string inside libxl.
>
> Ok. So in your opinion, even if any new disk config is encoded in 'target=',
> libxlu should split that up into (new) members of libxl_device_disk, not just
> plop it into libxl_device_disk.pdev_path?

No, not necessarily. I didn't look closely in the code yesterday when
replying, sorry.

If  target= has always been shoveled into pdev_path, using that would be
fine. We already have mechanism to parse target= outside of libxl in
hotplug script.

Are you aware of all those hotplug scripts living under tools/hotplug ?
Does using hotplug script sound plausible to you?

Currently hotplug script for QEMU is broken and needs fixing though, but
I'm sure we can figure it out.

Wei.