Re: [Xen-devel] Taking on a Xen development project

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 10:19:31AM +0800, Yang Hongyang wrote:
> On 2015å12æ11æ 01:23, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> >
> >Hello - thankyou for your interest.
> >
> >One area to look at might be the parameters to the live migration
> >looping.  As part of the migration v2 rework I did in the 4.6 dev
> >period, I left all of that alone, and it is in a working but poor state.
> >
> >In the past, there have been several research investigations into
> >improving the live migration algorithm, such as tracking the rate of
> >dirtying of memory, or attempting to resume the domain on the far side
> >and fault the final memory across.
>
> I think you mean postcopy here? The hypervisor then needs to maintain
> a dirty page bitmap and generate pagefault when a page is not yet
> tranferred to the far end.
> This feature already merged into QEMU2.5(kvm patch which generates
> pagefault also been merged into linux kernel mainline), if you want a
> reference, you can take a look at those patches.
> This surely is a great aera to work on.
>

> >If you are interested in perusing this, start with reading
> >docs/features/migration.pandoc in the Xen tree.

We'd definitely be interested in working on live migration!  The feature
is essentially an implementation of the approach described in Section
5.1 of [0], right?

Would the focus of the project be to implement and evaluate postcopy
live migration in Xen, then, or to more generally build on previous
research efforts? (either way sounds like fun!)

Thanks!

Josh

[0]
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/papers/2005-migration-nsdi-pre.pdf>