Re: [Xen-devel] xenstore domain

On 10/12/15 22:13, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> On 12/9/15 1:34 AM, Juergen Gross wrote:

>>> It is still logically part of the "xl toolstack infrastructure", but I
>>> accept your point.  The current xl.conf is all about how to create
>>> domains in general, rather than specifically "how I would like my system
>>> configured when starting up".

>>> Indicating what, precisely?
>>
>> What I need is the capability to do the XEN_DOMCTL_getdomaininfo
>> hypercall from the xenstore domain. Question is whether it's better
>> to tie this special capability to the flag or to name it "is_xenstore".
>>
>> Thinking more about it, especially regarding a possible enhancement
>> allowing Dom0 to reboot, I think the is_xenstore variant would be
>> better. This would allow to look whether a xenstore domain is already
>> running and connect to that rather than try to start a new one.
>>

>> Juergen
>
> How would either of these relate to /proc/xen/capabilities and/or
> /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities?

Not at all. Both files are dom0 products. And xenstore domain is not
a hypervisor capability, but just a configuration variant of the
system.

> A number of distros use the former to decide when to start up xenstore
> (in fact the in tree scripts do as well).

This is subject to dom0 configuration. In case it is configured to use
a xenstore domain it has to check whether this domain is already
running. The decision to start a new domain is depending on the result
of this test.

Juergen