[Xen-devel] Releasing physical memory allocated to a dying domain

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Simula <mlodde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:58:17 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:04:37 +0000

Hi everyone,
I’m looking at the code of domain_kill() to understand how a dying domain
releases its resources.
If I’m understanding correctly, physical memory is released by gradually
releasing the page tables and updating the page_info associated to each entry
to decrement reference counters until the page is finally scrubbed and released
as the counters reach 0. Is that correct?
If so, why is memory released that way and not by simply walking d->page_list
and releasing pages as they appear in the list (assuming it’s not a shared page
still used by another domain)?

Best regards,
Mario