Re: [Xen-devel] qemu-xen.git trouble with tags of stable branches

On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 20:00 +0000, Mark Pryor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen.git;a=summary
>
> looking at the tags for the 2 stable branches which are involved in the
> recent patch to xen.git
> unifying the qemu trees.
>
> tags:
> qemu-xen-4.6.0
> qemu-xen-4.5.2
>
> The revisions pointed to in the above tags are not unique and cause wrong
> results in git queries like:
> git log --pretty=oneline qemu-xen-4.5.2..HEAD | wc -lÂÂ -> 8419
>
> Âgit log --pretty=oneline qemu-xen-4.6.0..HEAD | wc -l -> 4168
>
> the last query should eval to about 85.

Why should it eval to 85, how did you arrive at that number?

Also, as I pointed out to you on xen-users [thread 0], "HEAD" is a
completely meaningless identifier in a global context, it is a repository
local concept, so using it as the basis of these sorts of comparisons is
useless, please either using a specific public branch or a specific commit
sha1 for comparisons.

> In a quick browse of the web view of the repo I see the same patch commit
> multiple times, under different hashes.

Please can you give a specific example of such a commit.

Please also remember that backports from master to stable branches will
often look like the same commit with a different hash, this is a completely
normal thing in git. If the person doing the backport remembered to pass -x
to the git cherry-pick command then these will be annotated with "(cherry
picked from commit 10a06fd65f667a972848ebbbcac11bdba931b544)" in the commit
message, but not everyone remembers to do this.

Ian.

[thread 0]Âhttp://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2015-11/msg00088.html