Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Question regarding the behavior of guest_physmap_remove_page on x86

Hi Andrew,

On 17/11/15 18:47, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 17/11/15 18:09, Julien Grall wrote:
>> On ARM, it's possible to fail when removing a page from the P2M. It's
>> happening if we are trying to shatter a superpage and we don't have
>> memory to allocate the table. Therefore the mapping won't be removed
>> from the P2M.
>>
>> However on ARM (and until recently on x86 [1]), the function
>> guest_physmap_remove_page is not supposed to return an error. So we
>> would free the page even if we fail to remove the page. This will end up
>> to re-use the page by someone else even though the mapping is still
>> present in the P2M.
>>
>> I looked to the x86 version and I'm not sure how the function is
>> behaving. Maybe an x86 maintainers could give me insight here.
>>
>> I'm thinking to fix the problem by checking the return of
>> guest_physmap_remove_page to avoid the page being reallocate to someone
>> else (see for instance guest_remove_page in xen/common/memory.c). Is it
>> a sensible way to fix it?
>
> x86 can just as easily fail because of a failure to shatter a superpage.
>
> Despite the below changeset, none of the callee's were updated to
> actually act upon the error.
>
> As a result, the same issue affects x86, in principle.
>
> Does ARM have a shadow pool?  On x86, we arrange that the shadow pool
> (should be) large enough so that we never actually encounter an
> out-of-memory when shattering a superpage.

We don't have shadow pool on ARM. Even if we implement I think we have
to check the return of guest_physmap_remove_page in the event there is
other error path.

> I also observe that there is a latent bug with iommu_unmap_page() (which
> is part of guest_physmap_remove_page()) as (almost) nothing checks its
> return value.  Currently all (x86) callpaths either return success, or
> crash the domain.
>
> Looking at other codepaths, other possible errors (other than -ENOMEM
> from shattering) are:
>
>     if ( unlikely(p2m_is_foreign(p2mt)) )
>     {
>         /* pvh fixme: foreign types are only supported on ept at present */
>         gdprintk(XENLOG_WARNING, "Unimplemented foreign p2m type.\n");
>         return -EINVAL;
>     }
>
> or:
>
>     if ( !(p2m_entry = p2m_find_entry(*table, gfn_remainder, gfn,
>                                       shift, max)) )
>         return -ENOENT;
>

> All this code looks quite rotten through, and is in some serious need of
> some error handling hygiene.

I don't know the x86 code. I would appreciate can take care of the x86 part.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall