Re: [Xen-devel] VirtIO-GPU 3D OpenGL Hardware Acceleration for VMs and Xen

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:52:41PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems upstream Linux/Gallium3D/Mesa/Qemu/KVM has recently gained
> virtualized support for 3D/OpenGL hardware acceleration in VMs, allowing
> using the GPU of the host in VMs.
>
> Components:
>       - Linux 4.4 kernel includes the DRM driver for VirtIO-GPU 3D
> acceleration (needed in the VM).
>       - Qemu 2.5 (rc0) includes the VirtIO-GPU 3D mode support (needed on the
> host/dom0).
>       - Gallium3D VirGL driver is included in Mesa git (needed in the VM,
> supports up to OpenGL 3.3 atm).
>       - On the host/dom0 one needs *any* OpenGL driver (for the host GPU
> obviously), no special requirements there, if I understood correctly.
>

> Has someone looked into this already? How much work would it be to get
> VirtIO-GPU working in Xen HVM guests?

Are there any instructions on how to make this work? Looks like:
CONFIG_DRM_VIRTIO_GPU needs to be set.

In the host/dom0 one would need to get the latest version of QEMU for build
(easy, just change the Config.mk to point to the upstream qemu repo)

And then the syntax in the guest. I presume that 'sdl=1\nopengl=1' would need
to be set and
also some of device_model_args_hvm=XX magic.

That 'XX' magic should be whatever is needed for QEMU to expose this VirtIO
driver?

Looking at https://www.kraxel.org/blog/tag/virtio-gpu/

It looks to be: -set device.video0.driver=virtio-vga -display gtk,gl=on ?