[Xen-devel] [chg req] console: provide a way to send escape char

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 02:31:22 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 09:44:16 +0000

     I would like to request that there be a way in the xen console
to send the escape char.  The problem I faced was that I did:

xl console <dom id>
domU> telnet <device>

At some point, I realised that I wanted to send Ctrl-], which is
the standard telnet escape char to the telnet command.  But, of
course, the xen console ate it and exited.  A Google search and
asking a developer that was hanging out in a private chat where I
often hangout didn't produce any answers.  So, then I looked at
tools/console/client/main.c in Xen 4.5.1, which is the latest that
I had at hand, along with master in your gitweb, I found the
following code:

 212                 if (FD_ISSET(STDIN_FILENO, &fds)) {
 213                         ssize_t len;
 214                         char msg[60];
 215
 216                         len = read(STDIN_FILENO, msg, sizeof(msg));
 217                         if (len == 1 && msg[0] == ESCAPE_CHARACTER) {
 218                                 return 0;
 219                         }

Thus it would appear that there is currently no way to send the
escape char to the domU.  I would provide a patch, but I'm not sure
what would be the best way to make the change.