Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2] xSplice design

On 06/12/2015 12:39 PM, Martin Pohlack wrote:
On 15.05.2015 21:44, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
[...]
## Hypercalls

We will employ the sub operations of the system management hypercall (sysctl).
There are to be four sub-operations:

  * upload the payloads.
  * listing of payloads summary uploaded and their state.
  * getting an particular payload summary and its state.
  * command to apply, delete, or revert the payload.

The patching is asynchronous therefore the caller is responsible
to verify that it has been applied properly by retrieving the summary of it
and verifying that there are no error codes associated with the payload.

We **MUST** make it asynchronous due to the nature of patching: it requires
every physical CPU to be lock-step with each other. The patching mechanism
while an implementation detail, is not an short operation and as such
the design **MUST** assume it will be an long-running operation.

I am not convinced yet, that you need an asynchronous approach here.

The experience from our prototype suggests that hotpatching itself is
not an expensive operation.  It can usually be completed well below 1ms
with the most expensive part being getting the hypervisor to a quiet state.

FWIW, my current implementation (which is almost certainly not optimal) tested on a 72 CPU machine takes about 3ms, whether idle or fully loaded.

--
Ross Lagerwall