Re: [Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Switching to qemu-xen.git and qemu-xen-traditional.git

On Wed, 2015-10-21 at 16:52 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-10-21 at 17:26 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 21, Ian Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen.git
> >
> > Is the HEAD warning expected?
>
> No it is not.

Apparently it actually is, it's a short coming of the git:// protocol that
the client only sees the sha which HEAD points to and has to reverse
engineer which branch it was, which is ambiguous if there are two such
branches (as there is in this repo right now).

Ian J found this which explains things a bit better:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13061364/why-git-remote-show-name-display-remote-head-is-ambiguous-may-be-one-of-the

> Both trees contain a file HEAD containing:
>     ref: refs/heads/master
> which is the same as xen.git does.

> I see the same thing as you for the qemu-xen tree, but not for xen.git.

In xen.git staging and master happen to differ right now, so we don't see
this there.

> I shall consult around and see if I can figure out what I'm supposed to do
> here.

a) Nothing, sorry.

Maybe one day a) will be "update git on xenbits", I don't intend to even
investigate that right now, for hopefully obvious reasons...

Ian.