Re: [Xen-devel] [Qemu-devel] Question about xen disk unplug support for ahci missed in qemu

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, John Snow wrote:
> On 10/19/2015 07:44 AM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >>Â ÂHi,

> >> Can we get some more background on this?
> >>
> >> IIRC the IDE bits are needed to boot hvm guests, which goes like this:
> >>
> >>Â Â(1) boot disk is hooked up using both xenbus and ide.
> >>Â Â(2) seabios boots using ide.
> >>Â Â(3) linux kernel activates xenbus, at which point qemu zaps the ide
> >>Â Â Â Âdisks to avoid the disk being present twice in the system.
> >>
> >> Correct?
> >>
> >> Do we really want repeat this exercise for AHCI? Alot has changed since
> >> this boot hack for ide was added ...
> >>
> >> As far I know OVMF has xenbus drivers, so OVMF should already boot xen
> >> guests just fine without this, correct?
> >
> > I agree with you that the current unplug in nasty. Also I don't care
> > much about AHCI, in fact I don't think we should be spending efforts
> > into making that scenario work better. I think we should be working on
> > OVMF instead and fix the bug about empty cdrom drives reported by Fabio.
> >

> OVMF and AHCI go hand in hand here from my viewpoint. I'm happy to debug
> any OVMF+SATA/AHCI problems that are reported.
>
> Last I saw, Laszlo asked Fabio for some more information on this
> problem, so I am waiting for that information to start work on that issue.

Fabio reported a bug using OVFM+xen_disk, no AHCI involved. OVFM has
already support for the Xen PV disk protocol, see
OvmfPkg/XenPvBlkDxe/XenPvBlkDxe.c.

I not tried with ahci in ovmf in latest because as you told that is a missing unplug case in qemu.

I tried with xendisk and ide, the empty cdrom problem is with both, from xl domU cfg:
',raw,xvdb,ro,cdrom' for xendisk and ',raw,hdb,ro,cdrom' for ide.
Using seabios instead boot correctly, with ovmf not:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-10/msg01833.html

If I remember good also in latest test persist also the problem that ovmf not respect the boot order parameter.