Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: change to 6 months release cycle

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Haigh <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:44:30 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 11:45:03 +0000

On 5/10/2015 10:23 PM, Wei Liu wrote:
>>> The main objection from previous discussion seems to be that "shorter
>>> release cycle creates burdens for downstream projects". I couldn't
>>> quite get the idea, but I think we can figure out a way to sort that
>>> out once we know what exactly the burdens are.
>>
>> I don't recall it that way. My main objection remains the resulting
>> higher burden of maintaining stable trees. Right now, most of the
>> time we have two trees to maintain. A 6-month release cycle means
>> three of them (shortening the time we maintain those trees doesn't
>> seem a viable option to me).
>>
>> Similar considerations apply to security maintenance of older trees.
<snip>
> Just to throw around some ideas: we can have more stable tree
> maintainers, we can pick a stable tree every X releases etc etc.

So everyone else in the industry is increasing their support periods for
stable things, and we're wanting to go the opposite way?

Sorry - but this is nuts. Have a stable branch that is actually
supported properly with backports of security fixes etc - then have a
'bleeding edge' branch that rolls with the punches.

Remember that folks are still running Xen 3.4 on EL5 - and will be at
least until 2017. I still run the occasional patch for 4.2, and most
people are on either 4.4 or testing with 4.5 when running with EL6.

EL6 is supported until November 30, 2020. EL7 until 2024. People are not
exactly thrilled with EL7 in the virt area - but will eventually move to
it (or directly to EL8 or EL9).

The 6 month release cycle is exactly why people don't run Fedora on
their production environments. Why are we suddenly wanting the same
release schedule for Xen?

Sorry - but I'm VERY much against this proposal. Focus on stable and
complete, not Ooohhhh Shiny!

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx