Re: [Xen-devel] Xen4.7 unable to get domain type for domid

On 9/29/2015 7:19 PM, Meng Xu wrote:
HI Andy,

Hi Tianyang,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:24:15PM -0400, soapcn wrote:
> I keep getting this error about not being able to get domain type
> when I try to create a domU.
> Xen-4.7, Ubuntu 12.04

I also had this problem recently with regard to some Ubuntu 12.04
domUs, but on Xen 4.4.1, Debian jessie. These domUs worked fine on
earlier versions of Xen. I searched around a lot and found a few
other people with the same problem, but no answers.

In the end I discovered that these domUs were using the
linux-image-virtual kernel package instead of the more usual
linux-image-generic. I installed linux-image-generic and
uninstalled linux-image-virtual, and then the affected domUs would
boot.

I note also that I have some domUs with Ubuntu 12.04.01 using
linux-image-virtual and these are okay. So I assumed whatever
problem there was with that kernel was rectified by the time of the
12.04.01 release.

I hope that helps you.

Thank you very much for your suggestions! â

âAfter Tianyang changed the netboot image used to âboot the domU, the error disappears.Â
So it is likely that the linux-image provided by the ubuntu archive that he uses is kind of broken.Â

It is glad to know that it is not Xen's problem. :-)

âBest regards,â

âMengâ

-----------
Meng Xu
PhD Student in Computer and Information Science
University of Pennsylvania
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~mengxu/
Andy,

I really appreciate for your suggestions. Like Meng said, there is something wrong with the netboot image(precise) from archive.ubuntu.com. I downloaded one couple weeks ago and it worked. It's the most recent one that's broken and it's not Xen's problem.

For the record, I didn't do further testing but images from these two won't work.

http://mirror.pnl.gov/ubuntu/...
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...

Tianyang