From: afish@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:afish@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 6:05 PM
To: Jordan Justen <jordan.l.justen@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: El-Haj-Mahmoud, Samer <samer.el-haj-mahmoud@xxxxxxx>; Lenny Szubowicz
<lennysz@xxxxxxxxxx>; Karen Noel <knoel@xxxxxxxxxx>; Ard Biesheuvel
<ard.biesheuvel@xxxxxxxxxx>; edk2-devel-01 <edk2-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; Cole
Robinson <crobinso@xxxxxxxxxx>; Ademar de Souza Reis Jr. <areis@xxxxxxxxxx>;
Alexander Graf <agraf@xxxxxxx>; qemu devel list <qemu-devel@xxxxxxxxxx>;
Gabriel L. Somlo (GMail) <gsomlo@xxxxxxxxx>; Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx>;
Peter Batard <pete@xxxxxxx>; Hannes Reinecke <hare@xxxxxxx>; Reza Jelveh
<reza.jelveh@xxxxxxx>; Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx>;
xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Laszlo Ersek <lersek@xxxxxxxxxx>; Gerd Hoffmann
<kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>; Doran, Mark <mark.doran@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015

> On Sep 9, 2015, at 3:24 PM, Jordan Justen <jordan.l.justen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 2015-09-09 12:11:26, El-Haj-Mahmoud, Samer wrote:
>> The recent expansions beyond BSD where all permissive licenses (BSD
>> like) as far as I can tell.
>>
>> I agree with Andrew, opening the door for GPL licensed code in EDK2
>> will have severe consequences for products that are built using EDK2.
>
> I don't think simply having a GplDriverPkg in the tree would have any
> consequences for a platform that doesn't use any code in that package.
> Obviously we could not make any core packages rely on that package.

So you have a legal degree and are speaking on behalf of your employer on this
subject?

> This would just be a sanctioned, clear landing place for people that
> cannot, or will not provide their driver under a permissive license.
>
> This license will limit who can use drivers from this package. For
> that reason, I hope that we will always ask if a contribution can be
> permissively licensed instead.
>
> Personally, I would prefer a 2-clause BSD only tree for simplicity,
> but unfortunately, that sort of restriction has its own drawbacks as
> well. (frustrated contributors and less contributions)
>
> FWIW, I don't mind if the consensus is that GplDriverPkg must live in
> a separate repo. But, it would be nice to hear a good reason why it
> must live elsewhere.

Because GPL is not a permissive license. An accidental git grep and copying
some code can change the license of the code that gets the GPL code pasted into
it. Thus having GPL code in the same repository as BSD code can end up
accidentally converting BSD code to GPL code over time. If GPL was OK with
everyone we would have started with GPL. The good thing is the BDS code is GPL
compatible so it can be used for GPL code and bug fixes in the BDS code can be
merged into to GPL code, but this is a one way operation.

If you donât believe me please feel free to sit down and have a long
conversation with Intel IP lawyers.

> (And, why that doesn't also apply to FatBinPkg.)

There is no IP leakage from a binary. This FAT driver is licensed for use with
EFI, and given this is a EFI code base that seemed like a good thing.

I donât pretent to understand the GPL FAT thing, I guess it is some kind of
civil disobedience. it does not mater what license you strap on the code the
the device makers still have to âpay the manâ.

Thanks,

Andrew Fish

PS As I stated before Iâm fine removing all the binaries from the main repo, as
you donât really want binaries in your production repo, and source level
debugging is a nice feature and all.