Re: [Xen-devel] Design doc of adding ACPI support for arm64 on Xen - version 5

Hi Jan,

On 2015/8/31 15:39, Jan Beulich wrote:

>>> What do you mean with "Create only one ..." - there is only one.
>>> DYM "Create one additional Configuration Table entry ...", implying
>>> that the Configuration Table will need to by copied too?
>>
>> Sorry for the misunderstanding. I mean that it doesn't copy the original
>> one and just creates a new ConfigurationTable.
>
> If you don't copy the original one, how does Dom0 learn of what is
> in the original one (ACPI being just one such element)? Right now I
> can't see why you wouldn't copy the entire table and simply append
> the one extra entry.

The original System table contains a EFI configuration table which
stores the _host_ RSDP table address. But we create a new RSDP table and
the address is different. We create a new EFI configuration table to
store the new RSDP table address to VenderTable.
So if we supply both the host EFI configuration table and the new one to
Dom0, how do you expect Dom0 to get the right ACPI table?

>>> Copy means you imply to have an original?
>>
>> So I'll change it to "create".
>>
>>> What if dom0_max_vcpus
>>> is larger than the physical CPU count?
>>
>> I think it only needs to care the cpu_interface_number, uid and mpidr
>> field of GICC entry and other fields could be same with the host GICC
>> entry. It could get the mpidr from the vCPU index.
>
> You again suggest to use data from host entries, i.e. you leave
> incompletely addressed the original question: "What source of
> information do you intend to use when the Dom0's vCPU count is
> higher than the host's pCPU count?"

There are only the cpu_interface_number, uid and mpidr which need to
change. Other fields could copy from any one of the GICC entries from
host MADT table.

>>> How is this last sentence related to the handling of RSDP?
>>
>> Because the ACPI root address(i.e. the address of RSDP table) is stored
>> in EFI Configuration Table.
>
> With this I can only see you to refer to everything _except_ the last
> sentence. The last sentence talks about VendorTable, which I continue
> to not see to have a relation to ACPI/RSDP.

The value of VendorTable is the ACPI root address and Dom0 (or Linux)
get the ACPI root address from it when using UEFI with ACPI.

(I wonder why you didn't get this if you have a glance at the booting
process. uefi_init(arch/arm64/kernel/efi.c of Linux) -->
efi_config_parse_tables --> match_config_table. It will save the
VenderTable to efi.acpi20 and when Linux call acpi_os_get_root_pointer
to get ACPI root address, it will return efi.acpi20)

Thanks,
--
Shannon