Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC v2 for-4.6 0/2] In-tree feature documentation

On 08/25/2015 04:40 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
An issue which Xen has is an uncertain support statement for features.
Given the success seen with docs/misc/xen-command-line.markdown, and in
particular keeping it up to date, introduce a similar system for
features.

Patch 1 introduces a proposed template (and a makefile tweak to include
the new docs/features subdirectory), while patch 2 is a feature document
covering the topic of migration.

v2 Adds %Revision and #History table, following feedback from v1.

This is tagged RFC as I expect people to have different views as to what
is useful to include.  I would particilarly appreciate feedback on the
template before it starts getting used widely.

Lars: Does this look like a reasonable counterpart to your formal
support statement document?

Jim: Per your request at the summit for new information, is patch 2
suitable?

Yes. It provides excellent info, with pointers to dig deeper for those
interested.

Your proposal does raise the bar for feature contribution, but I'm not active enough in the Xen community to know if folks are supportive of the additional overhead. Would new features require a feature doc before committing?

My comment at the summit was more along the lines of a summary of libxl changes for external consumers. A libxl interface changelog of sorts, for consumers unable to keep up with xen-devel. But I also noted this may be a personal problem. You've already mentioned 'git log' :-).

Regards,
Jim