Re: [Xen-devel] Design doc of adding ACPI support for arm64 on Xen - version 3

>>> On 14.08.15 at 16:59, <shannon.zhao@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. Copy and change some EFI and ACPI tables

While some explanation on the reasons for this was given in the past
discussion, I'm still missing a word on the "why" for each of these here.

> a) Copy EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE and change the value of FirmwareVendor,
> VendorGuid, VendorTable, ConfigurationTable. These changes are not very
> special and it just assign values to these members.

I continue to question the need for fiddling with this table, not the
least because I don't see how you intend to hand it to the Dom0
kernel: Are you expecting to call the kernel's ordinary EFI entry
point, despite it not itself running on EFI firmware?

> b) Create EFI_MEMORY_DESCRIPTOR table. This will add memory start and
> size information of Dom0. And Dom0 will get the memory information
> through this EFI table.

To some degree the same applies here: While I see that you have no
legacy vehicle like x86's E820, I also don't see how Dom0 - not being
able to make EFI boot or runtime services calls - would get hold of this
table. And if a non-EFI mechanism is to be used here, using the EFI
data structure would turn out to be just an arbitrary (or convenience)
decision, not something inherently required. Which I think should be
said explicitly if so, rather than leaving the reader guess.

> c) Copy FADT table. Change the value of arm_boot_flags to enable PSCI
> and HVC. Let the hypervisor_id be "XenVMM" in order to tell Dom0 that it
> runs on Xen hypervisor, then Dom0 could through HVM_PARAM to get some
> informations for booting necessity, such as event-channel interrupt.
> Change header revison, length and checksum as well.
>
> d) Copy MADT table. According to the value of dom0_max_vcpus to change
> the number GICC entries.
>
> e) Create STAO table. This table is a new added one that's used to
> define a list of ACPI namespace names that are to be ignored by the OSPM
> in Dom0. Currently we use it to tell OSPM should ignore UART defined in
> SPCR table.
>
> f) Copy XSDT table. Add a new table entry for STAO and change other
> table's entries.
>
> g) Change the value of xsdt_physical_address in RSDP table.

Which RSDP? Under EFI the table root is to be found from the
EFI Configuration Table.

Jan